Don’t let your remodeling budget go over-board by hidden surprises – understand what the average installed costs for a Replacement Window is near you by using our handy calculator.
As an experienced licensed home improvement contractor, I know first hand what it should cost for various levels — from Basic, Better, and of course the best.
The average labor cost to replace a vinyl double-hung window is $250 – $450 per window installation. Expect the cost of wood replacement windows to be in the range of $400 to $700.
*To use this windows cost calculator: Simply measure the width and height of your existing window and add the two numbers together. For example: If your window measured 54″ tall by 24″ inches wide my total united inch would be:(54+24)= 78 united inches for that window.
|Replacement Window costs||Zip Code||United Inch|
|Replacement Window – Material Prices||$120.00 – $150.00||$180.00 – $216.00||$276.00 – $336.00|
|Replacement Window – Installation Cost||$150.00 – $168.00||$192.00 – $222.00||$240.00 – $270.00|
|Total||$270.00 – $318.00||$372.00 – $438.00||$516.00 – $606.00|
|Replacement Window – Total Average Cost Per Unit||$2.45||$3.38||$4.67|
Top Window Replacement Cost Factors To Consider:
Window replacement costs on average $250 – $450 per vinyl window and $400 to $700 for wood replacement windows with installation into a single-story home. However, the labor to install windows does increase if you own a 2 or 3 story-home. Expect the costs to increase 25-50% per additional story. Get free estimates from window replacement companies near you.
|High end cost||$450 to $850|
Other Window Cost Factors:
Other factors affecting cost include:
- Unforeseen structural damage
- Having to alter the existing window frame
- Difficulty accessing the existing window
- Wrapping existing window trim with metal capping
- Double or Triple glazed windows
- Lead Certified & compliant ( post 1978, all windows must be tested for lead ). If lead is present, expect an upwards of 25% increase per window on the labor rate side.
- Operating costs – each company has their own profit margin and this can vary from company to company.
Replacement Windows Cost By Frame Type:
To have a better understanding of what windows cost, here’s a quick overview of what various types of common windows will cost you. However, keep in mind that pricing varies from manufacturer across the board and also the additional add-ons affect the price:
|Frame Type||Average Cost|
|Wood||$275 – $850|
|Composite||$325 – $975|
|Fiberglass||$200 – $750|
|Clad||$300 – $900|
|Vinyl||$100 – $650|
|Aluminum||$175 – $400|
Cost Of Windows By Style
For a low-cost window, a vinyl single-hung replacement window will cost on average $100 per window and up. Meanwhile, common windows such as Double-hung windows start at $250. Below is a list of common window types:
- Double-hung: Sashes slide open from the top and bottom and tilt-in $250-750.00
- Single-hung: Top half remains fixed in place while the other half slides to open with the bottom tilting in to clean. $100-400.00
- Sliding: move horizontally along a track. $300 – $800.00
- Bay: extend out from a room. $1200 – $3000.00
- Casement: placed on side hinges and open outward. $275 – $650.00
- Picture: large panes of glass that don’t open; suitable for letting in light and views. $300 – $850.00
- Awning: open outward from top-mounted hinges. $350 – $600.00
- Transom: above a door or another window. $250 – $475.00
- Stationary: fixed panes that don’t open.
- Hopper Window Costs: $240 – $550.00
- Basement window: $100- $250.00
Cost of Top Window Brands
|Window Brands||Price Per Window||Cost to Install|
|Andersen Double Hung Window||$275||$275|
|Pella Double Hung Windows||$235||$275|
|Certainteed Double Hung Windows||$255||$325|
|Marvin Double Hung Windows||$290||$350|
|Harvey Double Hung Window||$225||$275|
|Simonton Double Hung Windows||$175||$250|
|Milgard Double Hung Windows||$265||$300|
Replacement Window – Pricing and Installation Cost Checklist
- Get at least 3-5 estimates before hiring a replacement window contractor — estimates are typically free, unless it’s a service call for a repair.
- Expect the Replacement Window prices to fluctuate between various companies – each and every company have different operation expenses and over-head.
- Try to get prices in late Spring, early Summer – you should expect better pricing due to non-peak season for window companies.
- Try to budget and additional 7-15% more on top of what our calculator gives out – I.e; difficult configurations, patterns, dormers, etc. The additional complexity of your window’s frame and trim work will add to the replacement window costs.
- Visit every supply house that sell your particular brand of replacement window and try to negotiate a better price with each supplier – I save on average 20%.
- Remember, there are multiple styled homes in the U.S – from: Contemporary, colonial, cape-cod style, ranch, bungalow, Victorian, etc. So keep that in mind and try to budget a little more, before starting your Replacement Window project.
- Some trusted window brands to consider: Andersen, Harvey, Pella, and Marvin windows. Some of these brands can be bought at Lowes & Home Depot.
View other window options and frame styles: Fiberglass, Wood, Vinyl & Aluminum
- Vinyl & Aluminum
Whats the Cost of Window replacement?
Wood Bay Window cost calculator
Average cost of Wood Casement Window
Whats the cost of Wood Picture Window
Wood Sliding Window costs on average?
Wood Window prices
Wood basement Window replacement costs
Bay Window cost calculator
Casement Windows cost estimator
Average cost of Double Pane Window
Insulated Window replacement cost
Cost of Picture Window replacement
How much does it cost for Replacement Bay Window
Average cost of Replacement Casement Window
Replacement Picture Window prices with installation
Replacement Sliding Window prices on average
Replacement Window cost on average
Sliding Window prices
Average cost of Storm Windows
Cost of Aluminum Bay Window Calculator
Whats the cost of Aluminum Casement Window
Average cost of Aluminum Picture Window
Aluminum Sliding Window cost
Average cost of Aluminum Windows
Vinyl Bay Window prices
Vinyl Casement Windows prices on average
Average cost of Vinyl Picture Window
How much do Vinyl Sliding Window cost?
Vinyl Window cost calculator
Basement Window Prices with installation
Average cost of Vinyl Basement Windows
How much do Egress Window Wells cost on average?
- Hud Path Rehab Guide, Volume 4, windows & doors. Dated added July 19, 2020
- Replacementwindowszone.com — Educates consumers on a plethora of replacement window brands and options, including national average costs data. Added July 19, 2020