Don’t let your remodeling budget go over-board by hidden surprises – understand what the average installed window replacement cost is near you by using our handy calculator.
As an experienced licensed home improvement contractor, I know first hand what it should cost for various levels — from Basic, Better, and of course the best.
The average labor cost to replace a vinyl double-hung window is $250 – $450 per window installation. Expect the cost of wood replacement windows to be in the range of $400 to $700.
*To use this window replacement cost calculator: Simply measure the width and height of your existing window and add the two numbers together. For example: If your window measured 54″ tall by 24″ inches wide my total united inch would be:(54+24)= 78 united inches for that window.
|Replacement Window Costs||Zip Code||United Inch|
|Material Prices||$120.00 – $150.00||$180.00 – $216.00||$276.00 – $336.00|
|Installation Cost||$150.00 – $168.00||$192.00 – $222.00||$240.00 – $270.00|
|Total||$270.00 – $318.00||$372.00 – $438.00||$516.00 – $606.00|
|Total Average Cost Per Unit
Top Window Replacement Cost Factors To Consider:
Window replacement costs on average $250 – $450 per vinyl window and $400 to $700 for wood replacement windows with installation into a single-story home. However, the labor to install windows does increase if you own a 2 or 3 story-home. Expect the costs to increase 25-50% per additional story. Get free estimates from window replacement companies near you.
|High end cost||$450 to $850|
Other Window Cost Factors:
Other factors affecting cost include:
- Unforeseen structural damage
- Having to alter the existing window frame
- Difficulty accessing the existing window
- Wrapping existing window trim with metal capping
- Double or Triple glazed windows – energy efficiency rating
- Lead Certified & compliant ( post 1978, all windows must be tested for lead ). If lead is present, expect an upwards of 25% increase per window on the labor rate side.
- Operating costs – each company has their own profit margin and this can vary from company to company.
Replacement Windows Cost By Frame Type:
To have a better understanding of what windows cost, here’s a quick overview of what various types of common windows will cost you. However, keep in mind that pricing varies from manufacturer across the board and also the additional add-ons affect the price:
|Frame Type||Average Cost|
|Wood windows||$275 – $850|
|Composite windows||$325 – $975|
|Fiberglass windows||$200 – $750|
|Clad windows||$300 – $900|
|Vinyl windows||$100 – $650|
|Aluminum windows||$175 – $400|
Cost Of Windows By Style
For a low-cost window, vinyl single-hung replacement windows will cost on average $100 per window and up. Meanwhile, common windows such as Double-hung windows start at $250. Below is a list of common window types:
- Double-hung windows: Sashes slide open from the top and bottom and tilt-in $250-750.00
- Single-hung windows: Top half remains fixed in place while the other half slides to open with the bottom tilting in to clean. $100-400.00
- Sliding: move horizontally along a track. $300 – $800.00
- Bay: extend out from a room. $1200 – $3000.00
- Casement windows: placed on side hinges and open outward. $275 – $650.00
- Picture: large panes of glass that don’t open; suitable for letting in light and views. $300 – $850.00
- Awning: open outward from top-mounted hinges. $350 – $600.00
- Transom: above a door or another window. $250 – $475.00
- Stationary: fixed panes that don’t open.
- Hopper Window Costs: $240 – $550.00
- Basement window: $100- $250.00
Can You Save on The Cost of Replacing Multiple Windows
Don’t fall into the trap of “if I replace more windows” that will equal bigger savings on window replacement costs as often times, these types of windows are of lesser quality and energy efficiency. However, don’t confuse this statement that you can’t get deals when applying apples to apples with getting 3-5 window quotes. Even smaller jobs can get discounts to offset the cost of replacement windows for your home. You will save more money on vinyl windows vs fiberglass windows, on your window replacement project.
How Much Can You Save with Energy Efficient Window Upgrades?
Well for starters, old and worn-out, drafty, leaking windows are not helping your utility bills out one bit. In fact, the Department of Energy estimates the upgrading your windows is one of the most cost-effective energy saving opportunities that can put $175 to $645 dollars per year back into your pocket.
For both new and existing homes, energy-efficient windows are a major factor. Heat gain and loss through windows account for 25% to 30% of home heating and cooling energy usage.
There are a variety of energy-saving upgrades for new home replacement windows, including double or triple paned glass, argon gas fills, low-e coatings, soundproofing, and the list goes on. What makes these windows energy efficient is all dependent on where you live. If you live in a warmer climate, reflective coatings will help you the most and colder climates, gas-filled double-pane glass will be your best solution for energy efficiency.
By including some of these upgraded window replacement options will help boost your windows’ energy efficiency ratings overall – these additional options do add to the total window cost.
New Window Replacement Cost by Type of Glass Pane
|Window Type||Average Material Cost Only|
|Single-Pane||$120 – $160|
|Double-Pane||$225 – $365|
|Triple-Pane||$300 – $650|
|Argon-Filled||$275 – $450|
|Low-E||$175 – $350|
|Laminated||$150 – $400|
Single-Pane Window Cost
Single-pane window replacement cost on average $120 – $160 depending on frame type, style, and seal coating. This is about $75- $125 less than double-pane windows, but often homeowners choosing this type of window are usually just trying to match what they currently have. You will find single-pane windows in much older homes and they are often the least energy efficiency of the bunch.
Double-Pane Window Cost
Double-pane window replacement cost on average $225 – $365, depending on the quality of the window. The higher-quality windows will have two panes of glass that are sealed together with a gas fill, while the less expensive versions will have a single pane of glass with a vinyl or aluminum frame.
However, a double-hung window is more efficient than a single-pane type when all other variables are factored in.
Triple-Pane Window Cost
Triple-pane average window replacement cost on average $300 – $650. You will find that the energy efficiency rating on triple-pane windows is very high, which means that they save money on your energy bills.
Although many people think the cost of triple-pane windows is too expensive, you should consider how much it will save you in the long run and weigh the pros and cons. I don’t think they are worth the additional costs over a double-pane window that can sometimes match the performance of a triple-pane window with all the advancements that have been made in manufacturing.
Low-E Window Cost
Low-E window replacement cost on average $175 – $350 per window, depending on the size of the window. For example, a 24″ x 36″ Low-E double-pane window can cost $250 to $275 installed by a professional contractor. A Low-E window that has one or more film layers applied to it helps reduce the U-factor of the window and provides year-round energy savings.
Low-E window replacement are available in all standard sizes, styles, single glazed or double glazed, wood-clad or vinyl clad, factory painted white interior and exterior, and come in a variety of colors. Maximum-rated Low-E windows incorporate argon gas fill to achieve even better insulation than triple-pane windows.
The main advantage of Low-E windows is the fact that it helps lower heating and cooling bills, especially during the hot and cold seasons by providing comfort and insulation for your family.
Argon-Filled Window Costs
Argon-Filled window replacement cost on average $275 – $450 per window, depending on the manufacturer. The price of an argon-filled window typically includes the price of the window as well as installation charges.
How does it work? Argon gas is inserted into the sealed space between the panes of glass in a window. This gas helps to improve the insulation value of the window and can make your home more comfortable by reducing drafts and keeping out noise. The argon-filled windows also help to protect your furniture, flooring, and artwork from fading due to the sun’s UV
Cost of Laminated Glass Windows
Laminated glass windows cost on average $100 to $275 per window, not including installation. Laminated glass is usually composed of two or more layers of regular glass, which are bonded together by a plastic interlayer. This interlayer keeps the layers of glass bonded even when broken, which makes the windows safer for buildings and homes.
Laminated glass can be either residential or commercial grade. Glass dealers and contractors would usually charge more for the commercial grade because it is thicker and has a higher breakage rating.
Laminated glass windows are commonly used in high traffic areas, such as schools, hospitals, and office buildings. They provide an extra level of safety by breaking into small pieces that are less likely to cause injury.
Cost of Top Window Brands
|Window Brands||Price Per Window||Cost to Install|
|Andersen Double Hung Window||$275||$275|
|Pella Double Hung Windows||$235||$275|
|Certainteed Double Hung Windows||$255||$325|
|Marvin Double Hung Windows||$290||$350|
|Harvey Double Hung Window||$225||$275|
|Simonton Double Hung Windows||$175||$250|
|Milgard Double Hung Windows||$265||$300|
Replacement Window – Pricing and Installation Cost Checklist
- Get at least 3-5 estimates before hiring a replacement window contractor — estimates are typically free, unless it’s a service call for a repair.
- Expect the prices to fluctuate between various companies – each and every company have different operation expenses and over-head.
- Try to get prices in late Spring, early Summer for replacing windows – you should expect better pricing due to non-peak season for window companies.
- Try to budget and additional 7-15% more on top of what our calculator gives out – I.e; difficult configurations, patterns, dormers, etc. The additional complexity of your window’s frame and trim work will add to the replacement window costs.
- Visit every supply house that sell your particular brand of window replacements and try to negotiate a better price with each supplier – I save on average 20%.
- Remember, there are multiple styled homes in the U.S – from: Contemporary, colonial, cape-cod style, ranch, bungalow, Victorian, etc. So keep that in mind and try to budget a little more, before starting your window replacement project.
- Some trusted window brands to consider: Andersen, Harvey, Pella, and Marvin windows. Some of these custom windows can be bought at Lowes & Home Depot.
View other window options and frame styles: Fiberglass, Wood, Vinyl & Aluminum
- Vinyl & Aluminum
Whats the Cost of Window replacement?
Wood Bay Window cost calculator
Average cost of Wood Casement Window
Whats the cost of Wood Picture Window
Wood Sliding Window costs on average?
Wood Window prices
Wood basement Window replacement costs
Bay Window cost calculator
Casement Windows cost estimator
Average cost of Double Pane Window
Insulated Window replacement cost
Cost of Picture Window replacement
How much does it cost for Replacement Bay Window
Average cost of Replacement Casement Window
Replacement Picture Window prices with installation
Replacement Sliding Window prices on average
Replacement Window cost on average
Sliding Window prices
Average cost of Storm Windows
Cost of Aluminum Bay Window Calculator
Whats the cost of Aluminum Casement Window
Average cost of Aluminum Picture Window
Aluminum Sliding Window cost
Average cost of Aluminum Windows
Vinyl Bay Window prices
Vinyl Casement Windows prices on average
Average cost of Vinyl Picture Window
How much do Vinyl Sliding Window cost?
Vinyl Window cost calculator
Basement Window Prices with installation
Average cost of Vinyl Basement Windows
How much do Egress Window Wells cost on average?
- Hud Path Rehab Guide, Volume 4, windows & doors. Dated added July 19, 2015
- Replacementwindowsguide.org — Educates consumers on a plethora of window brands and options, including national average costs data. Added Dec 5, 2021