Don’t let your remodeling budget go over-board by hidden surprises – understand what the average Cost to Install Carpet is in your zip code by using our easy to use calculator. If you’re looking for 2018 breakdown Cost to Install Carpet with materials, and how much a contractor might be, you’ve come to the right place.
As an experienced licensed home improvement contractor, I know first hand what it should cost for various levels — from Basic, Better, and of course the best. The Cost to Install Carpet estimator will provide you with up to date pricing for your area. Simply enter your zip code and the square footage, next click update and you will see a breakdown on what it should Cost to Install Carpet at your home.
*Note: a 10′ x 10′ area= 100 square feet.
|Carpet Costs||Zip Code||Square ft.|
|Carpet – Material Prices||$275.00 – $350.00||$390.00 – $420.00||$465.00 – $555.00|
|Carpet – Labor Cost||$105.00 – $170.00||$130.00 – $150.00||$165.00 – $175.00|
|Carpet – Total||$380.00 – $520.00||$520.00 – $570.00||$630.00 – $730.00|
|Carpet – Total Average Cost Square Ft.||$4.50||$5.45||$6.80|
How much does it cost to install new carpeting?
We see the commercials all of the time, 50% off or free carpet installation. But does it really mean “free” and 50% off of what? These are advertisement tactics are used all of the time to lure you in and buy from these big box giants – many of which have hidden fees behind these freebies.
There’s no such thing as “free installation” and I’m going to show you how it’s done and how they get their extra’s to cover their installation cost:
- Removing and discarding charges this extra charge might cost you roughly $1-2.00 per square yard to remove and discard old carpeting and padding.
- Cutting Fees Do you have any jogs or different angles or closets in your room? This fee might run an additional $0.75-1.50 per foot.
- Furniture If you are unable to remove any furniture or decor, there’s an extra charge to move and return all furnishings.
When you take into consideration of the fee’s above, the term “Free carpet installation” doesn’t seem to free. It’s always important to get everything down in writing before hiring a professional carpet installer.
For easy to follow numbers, we are going to price a room measuring 12’ft. by 10’ft. (120 sq. ft.) to get you the average cost to install carpeting for this project include:
- Carpet Selection: Carpeting can cost as little as $2.50-5.50 per sq. ft. for cheap to mid-range carpet, up to $6-10.00/Sq ft. for top grade carpeting. So with Carpeting and padding, the cost can run up to $1,200.00 for materials alone.
- Professional installation cost: Labor costs typically run in the neighborhood of $1-2.00 per square foot to install carpet with padding. Excluding extra’s such as: Tack strips, removing old carpet and padding and disposal. The total labor cost amount to: $100 – 200.00 per 12’ft. by 10’ft. (120 sq. ft.) room.
- Other factors that affect prices: Fixing high spots in your floors, or squeaky flooring. Installing tact strips, installing new thresholds between doors. Replacing baseboard or door trim. The level of complexity due to different angles in the room. Try to factor in an extra 10-15% for these extra expenses.
Carpet – Pricing and Installation Cost Checklist
- Expect the Carpet prices to fluctuate between various companies – each and every company have different operation expenses and over-head.
- Try to get prices in late Fall, early winter – you should expect aggressive pricing discounts by waiting for a contractor’s down season.
- Try to budget and additional 7-15% more on top of what our calculator gives out to Carpet cost.
- Carpet isn’t an easy task to perform and can leave you with a sore back. You might find it more cost effective to hire a Flooring Contractor, or a General Contractor to perform the work for you. Flooring contractors and General Contractors will most always get better prices on Carpet Flooring products — saving your back any additional costs of the flooring repair, so shop around, ask your neighbors if they can recommend someone.
- Unit Pricing Data: Lowes Flooring Products and Supplies Lowes , Added: 1/6/17
- Unit Pricing Data: Home Depot Flooring and Supplies Home Depot, Added: 1/3/17
- Unit Pricing Data: Menards Flooring and Supplies Menards, Added: 1/7/18
- Unit Pricing Data: BuildDirect Flooring and Supplies BuildDirect, Added: 2/6/18