Don’t let your roofing budget go over-board by hidden surprises – understand what the average installed costs for Asphalt Shingle Roof is in your zip code by using our handy roof cost calculator.
As an experienced licensed roofing contractor, I know first hand what it should cost for various levels — from Basic, Better, and of course the best. This asphalt shingle roof cost estimator will provide you with up to date pricing for your area.
Simply enter your zip code and the square footage, next click update and you will see a breakdown on what it should cost to have a asphalt shingle roof cost installed onto your home
|Asphalt Shingle Roof Costs||Zip Code||Sq. ft.|
|Material Prices||$165.00 – $175.00||$190.00 – $210.00||$220.00 – $250.00|
|Installation Cost||$220.00 – $240.00||$265.00 – $280.00||$300.00 – $340.00|
|Total||$385.00 – $415.00||$455.00 – $490.00||$520.00 – $590.00|
|Asphalt Shingle Roof – Total Average Cost per square foot||$4.00||$4.72||$5.55|
How much does it cost to have roofing shingles installed?
There’s a couple different styles of roofing shingles: 3-tab and Architectural shingles and both carry similar labor rates of: $3.50 – $5.50 per square ft. However, most roofing contractors will price your roof “per square,” meaning 100 square ft. of total coverage, equals 1 square.
The average size roof is about 1500 square ft. or “15 squares” in roofing terms. This would cost: $6 – $8,850.00 to replace.
What does a roof replacement cost in detail?
Before reading on, understand that these prices are “ballpark” pricing and nobody can truly give you accurate price to replace your roof without actually visiting your property. There’s a lot of factors that go into pricing a roof. For example:
- Number of stories
- Slope and condition of your roof
- How many layers of existing roofing need to be taken off.
- How cut up your roof is: Valley’s, dormers, chimney, skylights, etc.. These are time consuming.
#1. Roof shingle cost: Expect to pay anywhere from $100 -$200.00 per square for shingles. Why the huge difference? First off, there’s varied levels of shingle quality and warranties that range 25 – 50 years. Generally, most roofing contractors will use either GAF or Certainteed Architectural shingles and these brands will place you in the $130.00 per square range.
#2. Roofing accessories: Felt paper, or synthetic paper, ice & water shield, nails, drip-edge, ridge-vent and caps will run: $75 – $125.00 per square.
#3. How many layers of existing roofing do you have: Roofing companies will charge on average $100- $150.00 per square to tear off existing roofing shingles before installing your new roof.
#4. Haul-away fees: This cost will be entirely dependent on if the roofing company you choose owns his own dumpster or has to rent one. Either way, expect this to cost you between $350 – $600.00 depending on the scope and size of the job.
#5. Roof Decking: Depending on the condition of your roof decking, should there be any sections of wood replaced due to water damage and rot. Expect to pay between: $75 – $125.00 per sheet of plywood and roughly $50- $100 per plank of wood section replaced.
#6. Flashings: How many skylights or penetrations on your roof need new flashing kits, boots, chimney’s, etc. New skylight flashing kits cost on average $80 – $130.00 each. Furthermore, if your chimney needs to be re-flashed with lead, expect to pay on average $3 – $500.00 per chimney to re-flash and re-point.
#7. Stories: Plan on seeing a cost per square go up with each level story you have. A 1-story residential house will not cost the same as a steep 2 or 3-story building.
Asphalt Shingle Roof – Pricing and Installation Cost Checklist
- Get at least 3-5 estimates before hiring a Asphalt Shingle Roof contractor — estimates are typically free, unless it’s a service call for a repair.
- Expect the Asphalt Shingle Roof prices to fluctuate between various companies – each and every company have different operation expenses and over-head.
- Try to get prices in late Fall, early winter – you should expect aggressive pricing discounts by waiting for a contractor’s down season.
- Try to budget and additional 7-15% more on top of what our calculator gives out – I.e; difficult configurations, patterns, hips, valleys, dormers, curbs, ventilation, etc. The additional complexity of your roof will add to the Aluminum Shingle Roof costs.
- Visit every supply house that sell your particular brand of Asphalt Shingle Roof and try to negotiate a better price with each supplier – I save on average 20%.
- Remember, there are multiple styled homes in the U.S – from: Contemporary, colonial, cape-cod style, ranch, bungalow, victorian, etc. So keep that in mind and try to budget a little more, before starting your Asphalt Shingle Roof project.